Who says you can make only a handful recipes out of the crunchy and fresh kangkung? You can always infuse some creativity in healthy eating. Imagine snacking on a deep-fried crispy kangkung while watching a good movie on Netflix.
You can cheat yourself for having a complete healthy meal while snacking on it and you stay away from feeling guilty. So, don’t forget to jot down this recipe: deep-fried crispy kangkung with Thai sauce and start making at the comfort of your home!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bunch of kangkung leaves stalks removed
- Cooking oil
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup of ice-cold water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry (or cooking sherry)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon dried crushed chilli (1 tablespoon makes spicy-hot sauce)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water)
- First, wash the kangkung thoroughly. While then, to prepare the Thai sauce, place all the ingredients except the cornstarch-water mixture in a pot.
- Then, heat the mixture until it brings to a rolling boil. After a while, reduce the heat to medium. Let it boil for about 20 minutes until the mixture reduces by half.
- Reduce heat to low and add the corn starch-water mixture into the sauce. Stir well to incorporate and continue occasionally stirring until the sauce thickens for about 2 minutes. Then, remove the pot from the heat and taste-test.
- Pour the sauce into a small bowl or jar and set aside. Meanwhile, to prepare the deep-fried kangkung, pat dry the separated kangkung leaves, dredge them in corn starch and set aside.
- While the kangkung sets, mix the batter ingredients in a bowl and place it in a refrigerator.
- Heat the cooking oil using medium-low heat.
- Then, take the batter mix out of the refrigerator and dip each kangkung leaf into it. Then, drop one by one in the oil without crowding them.
- Cook until the kangkung turns golden brown. Then, set on a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve while hot with the Thai sauce.
Deep-fried Crispy Kangkung Recipe
To make the deep-fried crispy kangkung tastier, remember to sprinkle some garlic or onion powder and chilli pepper. Other dips that can go along with this dish are mayonnaise mixed with ketchup or honey and yellow mustard or with Ranch or Ceasar Salad dressing.
To look out for more local food, checkout foodpanda magazine or if you are lazy to head out, download the foodpanda app now, order your favourite food and get them delivered right to your doorstep.