With bright colours and small sushi-shaped appearance, the Dragon Roll is a delicious sushi roll that originated from Japan.
The dish is a kind of inside-out sushi, which means that the nori (seaweed) wraps around the ingredients within the sushi, while the seaweed is also covered with sushi rice. The ingredients found inside the Dragon roll are typically seaweed, shrimp tempura and sliced tempura.
Check out the recipe below to try the Dragon roll.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 Pieces of Avocados
- 1 Part of Japanese Cucumbers
- 2 Tbsp of Tobiko (Fried Fish Roe)
- 8 Pieces of Shrimp Tempura
- 2 Sheets of Seaweed (Nori)
- 2 Cups of Sushi Rice
- Black Sesame Seeds (Roasted)
- Spicy Mayo
- Unagi Sauce
- ¼ cup of Water
- 2 tsp of Rice Vinegar
- Start by first cutting the cucumber into smaller pieces lengthwise. Remove the seeds found in the cucumbers and then cut it into half again, lengthwise.
- Proceed to cut the avocado in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds and then cut both pieces into half. Remove the skins of the avocado and then slice it into smaller pieces, widthwise.
- Press the avocados with your fingers or a side of the knife until the length of the avocados is similar to a sushi roll. Squeeze a bit of lemon onto the avocado to prevent them from changing colours.
- Place a plastic wrap on top of the bamboo mat and then place half a nori sheet on top of the plastic wrap. Ensure that the shiny side of the nori sheet is facing downwards toward the plastic wrap.
- Dip your fingers into the tezu and then place the sushi rice on the nori. Spread the sushi rice all over the nori sheet until it is fully covered.
- Turn the wrap over and then place some tobiko, cucumber strips and shrimp tempura along the bottom end of the nori sheet. Hold the bamboo mat from the bottom end and start rolling the nori sheet until it reaches the end of the bamboo mat. Ensure that the bamboo mat is held tightly and firmly.
- Place the sliced avocado on top of the roll, using the side of a knife. Next step is to place a plastic wrap on top of the rolls, followed by the bamboo mat. Tightly press the rolls until the slices of avocados are wrapped around the sushi.
- Use a knife to cut the rolls into eight pieces. Ensure that the blade is clean before using it to cut each sushi. Once the rolls have been cut into sushi, remove the plastic wrap and serve the sushi rolls on a plate. On each piece of sushi, place a bit of tobiko and some spicy mayo on top of it.
- The dish is best served with some unagi sauce on the side for a more delicious experience.