Isn’t it a new name to call a dish? The drunken chicken is named such because it is prepared with alcoholic beverages. In China, Greece and Latin America, they have several ways to make this dish. The drunken Chinese chicken is usually served as an appetiser and best enjoyed either cold or at room temperature. The chicken is usually soaked in Shaoxing Wine in China, and sometimes the type of alcohol differs according to the place it is served.
- Three chicken leg quarters
- Three of cups water
- Three large slices of ginger
- One teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ cups of homemade chicken broth which is at room temperature
- 2 cups of Shaoxing Huadiao wine
- 1 ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons of sea salt
- One tablespoon of dried goji berries or wolfberries
- Debone the chicken leg while keeping the skin on. Keep the bones to make some chicken stock, which you will have to be using later.
- In a pot, add the reserved chicken bones, 3 cups water, and ginger. Let it boil and simmer above small heat for about an hour or longer if needed. We’ll need 1 ½ cups of chicken broth to use later.
- Rinse the deboned chicken and dry with it with a paper towel. Use three pieces of aluminium foil. Put each piece of chicken onto a piece of foil, and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Then, wrap the chicken in the foil, twisting both sides.
- Steam the chicken wrapped in foil above high heat for about 30 minutes with the lid closed. Once done, turn it off and let the chicken be in the steamer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken wrapped in foil to a bowl filled with ice, and let it sit for about 20 minutes until the chicken cool. This is to make sure that the chicken continues to stay juicy on the inside, and it also improves the chicken’s texture.
- To make the brine. Use a non-reactive container and anything that is slender and deep, so that the chicken can be immersed. Then, add the chicken broth, Shaoxing wine, sugar, salt, and goji berries.
- After the chicken cools, unwrap the chicken from the foil and place it in the brine. Then, cover it and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Slice the chicken and serve it cold or at room temperature depending on your preference. It is essential to eat chicken within three days.
Log on to foodpanda to find out more about chicken dishes.