The golden-brown duck leg served over the hot noodle soup is an unforgettable dish. The duck meat is tender and flavourful. The duck leg usually served whole on top of the noodle makes a challenge for people to eat it with the chopstick.
There are several ways to prepare the duck legs for this delicious dish. Traditionally, the marinated duck legs are pan-frying until brownish and then simmer in the broth. Some people like to roast the duck leg instead of frying.
By roasting, the duck meat evenly cooked, preserves the seasonings, and easily removes some fat. Either roast or fried, it will produce the golden-brown colour that looks appetising. As the duck meat is more tough than chicken, this dish takes longer to cook to produce tender meat.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 duck legs (trimmed excess fat and skin)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 500g egg noodles (boiled)
- 3 bok choy (blanched)
- 2 scallions (thinly sliced the green part only)
- For marinade
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp ginger juice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Poke holes all over the duck leg using toothpick or skewer. This is to ensure the duck meat absorbs the marinade ingredients.
- Mix all the marinating ingredients in a bowl, and then marinade the duck legs evenly. Cover and kept them in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. Make sure to turn the legs occasionally.
- Remove the duck legs about 45 minutes before roasting. Preheat the oven to 475°F while placing the duck legs on the baking sheet.
- Roast the duck for 20 minutes, or until it turned brown and sizzling. Flip the leg and roast for another 5 minutes or until the other side turned brown. Then, put it aside.
- In the meantime, boil the chicken stock in the large pot and add the mushroom. Once boiling, place the roasted duck leg into the broth and simmer it for 30 minutes. Make sure to skim the floating fat.
- Divide the noodles into the bowls. Place the duck leg each, bok choy and sprinkled the chopped scallions. Pour the hot broth over the noodles.
- Serve immediately with pickled green chillies or pickled vegetables.