A bowl of hearty and warm dumpling soup noodles will be perfect to fill your tummy and soothe your soul, especially on a rainy day in.
Chinese Dumplings are generally made out of minced meat and finely chopped vegetables wrapped with a piece of dough skin. The minced meat is usually made with ground meat, shrimp, and even fish. There are a few popular dumpling options that can be usually found, such as the Chinese cabbage with pork and garlic chives, garlic chives with scrambled eggs, pork and shrimp with vegetables, pork with spring onion and so on.
Note that this noodle and dumpling dish is also best served with chilli sauce on the side, so prepare some if you want to!
- 1.5L chicken stock
- 80ml light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. Chinese rice wine
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 25g ginger (shredded)
- 1 tsp. caster sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 200g thin egg noodles
- 350g Chinese cabbage (shredded)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- Coriander leaves (to serve)
- 75g pork sausages
- 75g mixture of raw prawn meat or crabmeat (finely chopped)
- 1 coriander root (finely chopped)
- 1/2 long red chilli (finely chopped)
- 12 square wonton wrappers
- Cornflour (to dust)
- Thinly sliced green chilli, to serve
(Dumplings can be made up to 1 day ahead and stored, covered and chilled.)
- Line a tray with baking paper. Combine sausage meat, seafood mixture, coriander and chilli in a bowl.
- Lay wonton wrappers on a clean work surface. Place 1 tsp sausage mixture in the centre of each wrapper. Lightly brush the edges of each wrapper with water using a pastry brush, then fold in half, enclosing filling. Gently press edges to seal and remove any air pockets.
- Lightly dust with cornflour and place on a tray.
- Combine chicken stock, soy, rice wine, oyster sauce, ginger, sugar and oil in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil.
- Add noodles, cabbage and carrot. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are cooked which takes 4 – 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place dumplings in a steamer basket over a separate saucepan of boiling water and steam around 4 minutes, until cooked through.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Add 3 dumplings to each and scatter with coriander and chilli to serve.
There you have it, a bowl of soothing Dumpling Soup Noodles! If you’re a big fan of dumplings, check out our recipes on how to make xiao long bao and Korean fried vegetable dumplings, among many others.
If preparing your own dish is too much of a hassle for you, save the trouble by ordering from foodpanda and have a well-prepped meal delivered to your doorstep!