Ebi Fry, also known as Ebi Furai, is one of the most popular Japanese-style western dish, which originated during the Meiji Restoration. It has now become a very popular dish eaten at home and widely available in any Japanese restaurants. Tama, on the other hand, is short for Tamago, which is “egg” in Japanese.
Donburi is actually rice bowl dishes topped with delicious toppings like sukiyaki beef, spicy pork, chicken, prawns, egg and so on. It features warm Japanese rice covered in soft omelette and onion for extra savoury and umami flavour.
Today, we will be combining all three and share with you the Ebi Tama Don recipe that is so loved by many. Be prepared to be smitten by this spectacular dish!
- Large Prawns (16 pieces)
- kosher/sea salt (use half for table salt)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- neutral-flavoured oil (vegetable, canola, etc) (for deep frying)
- 1/8 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup ichiban dashi
- 1 tbsp. sake (rice wine)
- 1 tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups cooked short or medium grain white (see here) or brown rice (see here)
- Peel Prawns and season with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs into a bowl.
- Coat the prawns with flour, and then beaten egg. Then you go back to flour, then egg again, and finally panko.
- Heat oil on high heat until it’s hot.
- Gently put 2-3 prawns in oil and deep fry them until golden brown. Transfer Ebi Fry onto a wire rack to remove excess oil.
- Between batches, make sure to scoop up the bread crumbs to keep the oil clean and avoid the oil turning dark.
- In a small pan, add onion, dashi, sake, mirin, salt, soy sauce and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat.
- Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Add the eggs to the pan with the onion mixture.
- Wait until eggs start to coagulate. Slowly push the edge of the egg mixture to the centre of the pan with a spatula, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low, continue to cook for approximately 30 seconds.
- Fill a serving bowl with cooked rice and slide omelette with sauce on top.
- Place Ebi Furai on top. Enjoy!
If you want to save the hassle of preparing your own dish, you can always order well-prepped meals from foodpanda and have your meal delivered right to your doorstep.