Recipe: Egg Tart – Dated back to the 1920s and derived from the English custard tart and the Portuguese pastel de nata, the egg tart is a kind of custard tart originated from China. With an outer pastry crust filled with egg custard, egg tarts are usually served at dim sum restaurants. The filling in the egg tart us delicate and sweet, with a hint of creamy vanilla taste. The outer layer of the egg tart, however, is crispy, flaky and buttery.
Today, we will be guiding you step by step to make your own egg tart so you can enjoy this delicious tart at home!
Ingredients (appx 15 egg tarts):
Ingredients of crust:
- 200 gm plain flour
- 25 gm cake flour
- 125 gm butter
- 55 gm icing sugar
- 1 egg, whisk
- a dash vanilla extract
Ingredients of custard:
- 2 eggs
- 70 gm caster sugar
- 150 gm hot water
- 75 gm evaporated milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place butter at room temperature until softened. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer over medium speed until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Add in whisked egg, half at a time, beat over low speed. Add vanilla extract, mix well.
- Sift flour in two batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions with a spatula, and make sure all ingredients combine well. Knead into dough.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/2 cm thickness. Cut dough with a cookie cutter that is just a bit smaller than your tart tin in size. Line dough in the middle of tart tins, one by one. Lightly press the dough with your thumbs, starting from the bottom then up to the sides. While pressing the dough, turn the tart tin clockwise/anti-clockwise in order to make an even tart shell. Trim away any excess dough.
- Add sugar into hot water, mix until completely dissolved.
- Whisk egg with evaporated milk. Pour in sugar water. Mix well.
- Sift egg mixture to get rid of any foam into a tea pot. Carefully pour egg mixture into each tart shell.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Bake tarts for 10 to 15 minutes until the edges are lightly brown.
- Lower heat to 180C. Once you see the custard being puffed up a bit, pull the oven door open about 2 to 3 inches. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the custard is cooked through. Just insert a toothpick into the custard and if it stands on its own, it’s done. Enjoy!
There you have it! The simple and easy Recipe: Egg Tart. If you love tarts, you can try to baking coconut tarts by using our recipe here. Find it a hassle to prepare your own tarts? You can always order via foodpanda and have well-prepped ones delivered right to your door step!