Fishball Noodles Soup is a staple dish not only in Malaysia, but all over Asia. There are different variations to this dish, but it all boils down to two main ingredients – fishballs and noodles. With that, for today’s recipe, we prepared on Fishball Noodles Soup.
This dish can be eaten as breakfast, lunch and dinner, as it is delicious and fulfilling. The most important factor when preparing this dish is that the soup has to be good, flavourful and savoury for the noodles to soak up.
Prepare your own by following this Fishball Noodles Soup recipe below!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 250g noodles of your choice (vermicelli recommended)
- 16 pieces fish balls
- 4 stalks choy sum
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 40 gr dried anchovies
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 stalk spring onion – finely chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves
- crispy fried shallots
- Garlic oil and chips
- Red Thai chili (finely chopped)
- Soy sauce
- Soak dried anchovies in water for 5 minutes. Discard water and rinse a few times.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add the dried anchovies and lower the heat to let it gently simmer for about 15 minutes
- Strain the stock and discard the ikan bilis. Season with sugar and salt to taste. Add fish balls into the soup and cook for about 1 minute.
- Cook the noodles according to instructions. Refresh the noodles with cold water. Set aside.
- Separate the choy sum into single stalk. Blanch the choy sum in a small pot of water for 1 minute then refresh with cold water
Putting it together:
- Portion the noodles into an individual serving bowl.
- Add fishballs. Ladle the hot soup generously over the noodles.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, cilantro leaves, drizzle of garlic oil and the chips, sprinkle with fried shallots.
- Serve with red and/or green chili doused in soy sauce. Enjoy!
There you have it, recipe for bowls of warm and hearty home-cooked Fishball Noodles Soup for you and your loved ones! If you find it too much of a hassle to prepare your own dish at home, you can always order well-prepped meals from foodpanda, and have them delivered right to your doorstep.