Chinese New Year is always the most important festive season among the Malaysian Chinese community. Not only do family members get to reunite and gather together, but the festive season also provides a sense of joy and celebration among friends. During the Lunar New Year, food plays a huge role. There are plenty of snacks for this wonderful celebration, including mandarin oranges, chilled box drinks and Chinese cookies. In this article, we’ll feature the recipe for a beloved snack, which is fried arrowhead (ngaku chips).
Fried Arrowhead (Ngaku Chips) is one of the most common snacks during Chinese New Year. It is made of a type of potato called Arrowhead, and it is fried until golden brown. Since small, I have always loved this snack as it is so delicious. I could finish one whole container of this within an hour!
For people who wants to try out Fried Arrowhead (Ngaku Chips) on their own, here is how you can do it!
For this snack, you will need as follows:
- 500 g of arrowheads (also known as duck potato, arrowleaf, swan potato, katniss, tule potato)
- Cooking oil
- A cup of water
The ingredients needed for Fried Arrowhead (Ngaku Chips) are rather little. The main thing is the arrowheads. You may find this in any wet market or Asian grocery stores. Make sure that you pick the firm and plump ones to have more arrowhead chips.
- First, you will need to cut off any bumps or cracks on the arrowheads. You can remove the skin while you are cutting them. Leave the tip of the sprout.
- Cut off the bottom part of the arrowheads and make sure it is flat at the bottom.
- With a sharp knife or mandoline, slice the arrowheads into thin slices. I would prefer to use mandoline as it is easier and faster.
- Once all the arrowheads are sliced properly, soak the arrowheads slices in a bowl of cold water for about half an hour. This procedure is important to remove extra starch.
- After soaking, wash and rinse the arrowheads under running water.
- Then, place each slice on a clean cloth to remove the excess water and moisture.
- Make sure that all arrowhead slices are completely dried. Otherwise, the oil will splatter when add the slices in the oil.
- In a big deep pot, pour in the oil and turn on the heat.
- Once the oil is hot, put in the arrowhead slices and deep-fry all of them until golden brown.
- Once the arrowheads bubbled, take them out and put on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Keep doing so until all arrowheads are completely cooked.
- Allow the arrowheads to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Serve in the container.
For this recipe, please make sure to store the Fried Arrowhead (Ngaku Chips) in a closed and tight container. You may store this up to two to three weeks, depending on the humidity of the surroundings. Remember to keep this snack in room temperature.
Now you have your own Fried Arrowhead (Ngaku Chips) for Chinese New Year. Share this snack with your family members and your neighbours during this festive season!
Craving for more Chinese New Year snacks? Get it delivered to your doorstep with foodpanda today!