A great way to mix up your regular salad servings is to add in different proteins. In this fried tuna salad recipe, be prepared to feast on a scrumptious salad and save your money. All the ingredients required for the fried tuna salad recipe are relatively accessible and super cheap.
- 2 cans tuna (5 to 6 ounce cans)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup white bread torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid from the cans of tuna
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 raw egg
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups of greens mix (or whatever greens you have on hand)
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Half of a medium red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (or whatever nuts you have on hand)
- For the salad, toss all ingredients in a large bowl and add a dressing of your choice.
- For the tuna patties, drain canned tuna and reserve one tablespoon of liquid in the can. Add one tablespoon of oil to the drained tuna.
- In a bowl, mix tuna with the lemon juice and zest, bread, mustard, salt, pepper and egg.
- Form the mix into patties and chill for an hour.
- In a pan, heat up remaining olive oil on medium heat and cook patties on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until brown.
- Cut into smaller pieces to add to your salad.
Salads are a diet darling because they pack in plenty of nutritious vegetables and lean proteins without a ton of calories. They’re also cheap if you locally source your vegetables.
If you’re interested with this recipe, check out our other salad recipes such as Soft Shell Crab Salad, Fattoush Salad and Yoghurt Salad.
If you couldn’t be bothered to visit your local grocery store, head on over to the foodpanda app and have a fried tuna salad delivered to you.