Fried vendace can be described as Finland’s own ‘fish and chips’ as the dish features a local fish that is found in Finland, served with heaps of mashed potatoes. The delightful fried vendace or “muikku” in Finnish melts once it enters your mouth. With every bite, the savoury and rich flavour are sure to get you hooked.
Almost every market and restaurants in Finland serves fried vendace. The popularity of the fired vendace is apparent as the dish is considered as one of Finland’s traditional delicacies. One of the best and most reputable fried vendace can be found in Sampo (established in 1931), located in Kuopio.
The dish also represents the fishing culture and the abundance of fish found in Finland. Vendaces can be found at any lake in Finland, most notably in Pyhäjärvi, which is the largest lake of southwestern Finland. The recipe for fried vendace is simple and easy for those that are looking for something to munch on, and it is rich in protein. The dish is best served with some fried potatoes and onions at the side.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of rye flour
- 1 kg of small vendaces (dried and gutted)
- White pepper
- Butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil or olive oil
- Start by mixing two cups of plain flour with a cup of rye flour in a large mixing bowl. Proceed to add some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the frying pan on the stove and bring the dial up to increase the heat. Then, heat the frying pan and add butter and 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Ensure that the heat used to fry the pan is high but not at the maximum temperature.
- Proceed to coat the vendaces with the flour mixture and ensure that the surface is evenly and adequately coated.
- Carry on with frying the vendaces in a pan. Take about 3-4 minutes to fry it on each side of the vendaces. Proceed to add some additional butter and oil when you need to cook more fish. The dish is best served with fried potatoes (or mashed potatoes), immersed with some onion gravy. The fried vendace can also be chopped into smaller pieces and added to salads.
L0oking for more unique dishes from across the world? Order using foodpanda and experience a feast right at home!