Japanese Garlic Fried Rice is available in almost every Japanese restaurant and has its unique aroma and taste. A bowl of delicious garlic fried rice is often simple, contains golden-coloured rice, small chunks of fried egg, topped with spring onions and fried garlic. Garlicky and buttery, this simple Japanese Garlic Fried Rice is one of the go-to rice dishes. You can also add shrimp or meat to enhance its flavour.
Ingredients (2 – 3 servings):
- 2 ½ cups (450 g) cooked Japanese short-grain rice* (make ahead and refrigerate overnight or up to 1 week)
- 10 cloves garlic
- 4 stalks spring onions – diced
- 3 eggs – lightly beaten
- ½ tablespoon salt and black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Cook the Japanese short-grain rice a day earlier and refrigerate overnight to remove excess moisture.
- Mince the garlic, dice the onions and lightly beat the 3 eggs.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and minced garlic into a heated pan.
- Fry the garlic at medium-low heat until it turns golden brown.
- Set aside the fried garlic to drain off any excess oil.
- To prepare the sauce, mix 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of mirin, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil and 2 tablespoons of fish sauce. Once done, leave it aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into a hot pan.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and swirl it around the pan evenly.
- Separate the eggs into small chunks when it is slightly hard and push the eggs to the side of the pan.
- Add in an extra tablespoon of vegetable oil into the pan and turn up the heat.
- Add in the rice and stir fry until the grains are separated.
- Add in salt, some black pepper and some fried garlic then mix well.
- Then, pour in the sauce prepared earlier and stir fry until it covers all the rice.
- Finally, toss in the remaining fried garlic and spring onions, and the dish is ready.