This delightful dish is made with duck meat and fragrant ginger. Though the dish seems tedious to make, as the meat, sauce and noodles need to be prepared separately but the end product is worth it. The tangy ginger goes well with the duck meat.
There are two versions of this dish as you can prepare it dried or with soup. Either way, it is delicious and suitable to consume at any time of the day. The ginger duck noodle is good on its own but you can add some vegetables for a healthy meal.
A common type of noodle used in this dish is yellow egg noodles. You can get the dried form of egg noodles from most supermarkets. You can also get fresh egg noodles available in the wet market. Besides the egg noodles, some prefer glass noodles to go with this dish.
One of the ingredients, which is the five-spice powder gives a flavourful taste to the lean duck meat. The cooking process of duck meat can be difficult to produce a crispy outer skin and tender meat. However, do not let it deter you from making this dish at home.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 small duck breasts
- 3 spring onions (white parts finely chopped while the green part thinly shredded)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- 2 tsp of five-spice powder
- 3 tbsp of clear honey
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of water
- 4 inches of ginger (chopped)
- 300 g of dried egg noodles
- Poke the duck meat with a fork, and then coat the duck breasts with five-spice powder, salt and pepper.
- Use a non-stick frying pan to cook the duck meat. Cook the skin-side of the duck meat over medium heat for 10 minutes. Flip the duck meat to the other side and cook for another 2 minutes. Once cooked, put it aside.
- Heat some cooking oil in the frying pan. Stir-fry ginger and onion until it becomes fragrant. Add the soy sauce, water, spring onions and honey to the pan. Cook them for about one minute and reduce the heat to low to keep the sauce warm.
- Boil a large pot of salted water and add the dried egg noodles. Cook for 5 minutes or until the noodles become tender. Drain them and served them in a separate bowl.
- Slice the cooked duck breast diagonally and arrange over the noodles. Pour the warm sauce over the dish and garnish with fresh spring onions. Enjoy the dish while it’s still hot!