When you heard of fish dishes, you’ll imagine the fish with its eyeballs popping out, fish bones, and tail. However, this recipe is friendlier as there are no fish bones that you need to watch out for. It is easy to get fish fillets at any wet markets or supermarkets.
Ginger onion fish fillet not only has tasty boneless fillet. It also comes with thick savoury gravy that is very delicious. It is great to eat with either hot rice or porridge.
The fish fillets marinated first, and then quickly fry in the cooking oil. It is to harden the outer layer of the fish while the inside will remain soft. This will prevent the fish from breaking apart while stir-frying later.
Besides onion, people also usually used spring onions in this dish. There might be subtle differences in taste, but both are equally delicious. The ginger will reduce the fishy taste of the fish and give a pleasant taste to the dish.
Make this tasty fish fillets that will melt in your mouth. Enjoy it with a bowl of hot rice for the fulfilling meal.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 300g fish fillets
- ½ big onion (sliced)
- 50g ginger (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 cups cooking oil
- ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp water
- Cornflour mixture (2 tsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water)
- Dash of pepper
- For marinade
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Dash of pepper
- Mix the marinade ingredients in the bowl. Cover the fish fillets with the marinade thoroughly and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan. Place the marinated fish fillets in the oil and fry slightly for about 1 minute. Remove the fish fillets and place them in the paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Keep 1 tbsp of cooking oil in the pan. Sit fry the garlic, onion, and ginger until fragrant.
- Next, add in oyster sauce, light soy sauce, sesame oil, cooking wine, water and dash of pepper. Mix them well and let it boils.
- Then, add in the cornflour mixture and let the sauce thicken. Add the fried fish fillets into the sauce and stir them together.
- Serve immediately and enjoy it with rice or porridge.