Image Credit to: manhattan fish market
Seafood is, at some, if not most times, a delicacy for many. Seafood is any sea life that is regarded as food such as fish, molluscs and crustaceans. Seafood can be used in many different dishes too. Even fried, grilled or fresh, most seafood can be eaten in all forms.
A seafood platter, plateau de fruits de mer, in French means a plate for the fruits of the sea. The platter usually consists of cooked seafood served cold along with some condiments and lemon. Nowadays, seafood finds its way on our tables in various forms. If you are someone who likes to host or have gatherings at your homes, a seafood platter is definitely something you should try and put on the plates of your guests! With such variety, people will love the gathering even more in addition to the chats and laughter.
A Grilled Flaming Lobster Platter does not necessarily contain only lobster meat but other seafood too. For instance, you can have fried fish fingers, calamari, prawns and mussels too. The platter is actually not hard to make but the main ingredients – seafood, should be fresh!
Servings: 6 pax
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 240 mL of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of chopped basil
- 2 lemons, juiced and zest
- 4 crabs of preference, halved and claws cracked
- 4 lobster tails or small whole lobsters, halved and cleaned
- 32 green prawns, peeled and deveined
- 24 scampi, peeled and deveined
- 350g of clams (vongole)
- 12 scallops in half shell
- 2 ripe avocados
- 120mL of thickened cream
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 lime, juiced
- 200mL of mayonnaise
- 1 small lime, juiced and zest
- 1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce
- In a bowl, pour in the oil, garlic, basic, lemon juice and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Brush the seafood with marinade.
- Avocado cream: Place the ingredients on a food processor and pulse till smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Seafood sauce: Place the ingredients all together in a bowl and whisk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a barbecue hotplate as a grill and set to medium-high heat. Grill the lobster and crab for 2 minutes then add the scampi and cook for another 2 minutes. Next, cook the prawns and clams for another 3-4 minutes then only add the scallops. Transfer all the seafood to a platter when cooked. Add a dash of wine to the lobster, flame with a portable Bunsen burner or blowtorch and garnish with parsley. Serve with avocado cream and seafood sauce.