Grits is a food made from ground cornmeal. It is a type of flour from dried corn. Grits originated from the Southern United States and made its way throughout the world as a quintessential dish for breakfast or as a side dish. You can have a hearty meal when eaten with eggs and cheese. In some restaurants, shrimp and grits is a popular main course. For a sweet grit, people usually add butter, syrups, or jam.
The ground cornmeal is usually boiled with milk and butter and gives a thick consistency (like oatmeal). It makes for a creamy and buttery dish. Grits can be white or yellow depending on the colour of the corn. There are also several types of grits, such as stone-ground, regular, instant, and hominy grits.
It is essential to keep stirring the grits while cooking, so it becomes smooth and not lumpy. It is cooked under low heat, to avoid being overcooked.
The addition of butter and heavy cream makes the dish more flavourful. Some, instead, prefer to add cheese to achieve that cheesy and creamy dish; while others prefer the taste of good traditional grits. Check out the recipe down below! You may add other ingredients of your choice if you so wish.
Recipe for Grits
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup frits
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- In the saucepan, heat the water and milk under low heat until simmering.
- Then, pour the frits into the simmering liquid.
- Stir the mixture regularly until the grits soften with a thick consistency. It usually takes about 15 minutes. Make sure to stir it often until it thickens to prevent them from sticking and scorching.
- Season with salt. Add in the cream and butter. Mix them well.
- Serve them hot and enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.