Recipe: Guinness Beef Stew
If you’re thinking of having some friends over, or just in the mood to reward yourself, Guinness Beef Stew is the dish you’d want to have on your dining table. Indulge in the rich and creamy flavour of the stew and chew on the tender beef that falls apart to touch.
The secret to this dish is the beer. Guinness Beer is often used because it is richer than most beers, and the beer’s dark colour gives the gravy a nice deep brown colour. So, what’re you waiting for? Have some friends over and try this Guinness Beef Stew recipe today!
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 25kg boneless beef chunks (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 can of Guinness dark beer
- 4 cups of mashed potatoes
- 2 ½ cups of chicken stock
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- In a heavy skillet, start by cooking the bacon chunks over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crisp. Then, transfer the bacon to a large stew pot. Reserve the bacon fat to cook the beef chunks.
- Season the beef chunks with salt and black pepper and cook them (in batches) over high heat in the skillet. Cook the pieces for about 5 minutes, or until both sides are cooked through and have browned. Transfer the beef pieces to the stew pot with the bacon. Reserve the remaining fat to cook the onions.
- Turn the heat to medium-low in the skillet and cook the onions in the remaining bacon fat for about 5 minutes. Then, add the garlic and stir for about a minute.
- Pour the can of beer into the skillet and stir, scraping any browned bits into the liquid.
- Pour the liquid into the stew pot and add in the tomato paste, chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, carrots, celery, sugar, salt and black pepper. Bring the stew to a gentle simmer
- Occasionally stir the stew to make sure all the ingredients are combined. Then, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Let the stew simmer for about 2 hours and make sure the beef is fork-tender. Occasionally stir and skim the foam.
- Remove the lid and turn the heat to medium-high. Let the stew simmer for another 30 – 45 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme and adjust the salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Guinness Beef Stew Recipe
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.