If you’re unfamiliar with the name, a Gyu Nanban Roll is basically a Japanese beef skewer that is typically enjoyed on its own or with a dipping sauce. In Japan, it is commonly sold as street food in the city, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it from the comfort of your own home, right in Malaysia.
The Gyu Nanban Roll is a pretty easy dish to make and makes for the perfect finger food for a house party or gathering.
- 300 g of beef, thinly sliced
- 100 g of spring onion
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp of mirin
- 1 tbsp of Japanese soy sauce
- 1tbsp of cooking sake
- 150 g sugar
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- ½ cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of sherry vinegar
- 1 cup of mirin
- ½ cup of sake
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2-inch piece ginger, sliced
- 2 tbsps of whole black pepper
- To make the Gyu Roll, pierce the spring onions on the skewer and wrap the beef around the onions. Roll the pierced meat into a plastic wrapper to achieve a cylinder shape.
- In a separate bowl, mix the black pepper, Mirin, Japanese soy sauce, cooking sake and sugar until they’re thoroughly combined and set aside.
- Heat the pan under medium heat and start cooking the beef. Using a brush, coat the beef evenly with the sauce that was prepared earlier. Continue to coat the meat with sauce until it is half-way cooked for about 2 minutes.
- Close the pan and let the beef cook further until the beef is medium to medium-rare.
- Set aside and cover with aluminium foil to keep warm.
- To make the Tare Sauce, heat a small pot over medium heat and start adding in soy sauce, mirin, sherry vinegar, dark brown sugar, garlic, scallions, ginger and black pepper. Cook until the sauce thickens for about 4 – 5 minutes. If you prefer to have a smooth consistency, use a blender to churn the scallion, ginger and garlic prior to cooking.
- To serve, place the beef skewer on a plate with a side of Tare sauce and enjoy immediately.
Pro-tip: For extra flavour, marinate the beef with the Tare sauce ingredients for at least an hour. You can also prepare the skewers and keep it in the fridge for cooking the next day.