Gyuniku Roll is a tasty Japanese dish that is made out of beef with soy, mirin and sauteed enoki mushrooms. The dish is best consumed during lunchtime and paired with steamed rice for a filling meal! The vegetables can be scallions, carrots, green beans or even asparagus.
The dish features beef that is sliced thinly with vegetables rolled into the beef. The beef is juicy and tender. The dish is flavourful and delicious as it is cooked with mirin, oyster sauce and light soy, which acts as a powerful marinade. The shichimi togarashi enhances the flavour of the dish. During a get-together or a family gathering, the dish is perfect as an appetizer to a whole meal.
There are variations to the dish, such as substituting the beef with sliced bacon. Enoki mushrooms can also be replaced with regular field mushrooms. Canned or dried enoki can also be used if the fresh enoki mushrooms are difficult to be sourced.
Tempted to try a delicious Japanese dish? Check out the Gyuniku Roll recipe down below!
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings):
- 12 slices of beef (sliced thinly)
- 12 pieces of asparagus
- Cooking oil
- Red onion (half, thickly sliced)
- ½ cup of mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp of light soy
- Enoki mushrooms (1 packet, remove 2 cm of tougher stalks and loosen)
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- Shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven flavour pepper)
- Start making the dish by first placing 2 pieces of asparagus (spear and stalk) on each piece of beef, followed with a few slices of red onion. Proceed to roll the beef tightly. Carry on by repeating the process a few more times until you get the desired amount of rolls.
- Place all of the rolls in a large pan with cooking oil and then allow it to cook until the brown beef rolls seam along the sides. The colour should be a golden-brown appearance all over.
- Proceed to add some mirin, light soy, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Stir well and then remove the beef rolls from the pan. Carry on with sauteeing some enoki mushrooms with the remaining sauce in the pan for about 2 minutes.
- Add a dash of shichimi togarashi all over the beef rolls and then serve it with the sauteed enoki.
- The dish is ready! It is best served freshly cooked with steamed rice as a side dish.
Order more dishes and food using foodpanda! Have a good time cooking and enjoying your efforts.