Haemul Kimchi Jeon is a traditional Korean dish that means Seafood Kimchi Pancake. It is a delectable side dish loved by many across the world. This dish is often made with a flavourful batter, with ingredients such as shrimp, calamari, green onions and so on. The recipe for Haemul Kimchi Jeon is also very simple.
In Korea, Haemul Jeon is often paired with makgeoli, a Korean milky rice wine. Also, there is a Korean saying that goes “if it rains outside, just stay at home and enjoy some joen (savoury pancakes)”.
Today, we will be teaching you how to make Haemul Kimchi Jeon, a seafood pancake with kimchi, with a simple recipe. Just follow the simple steps below to make you own!
Ingredients (2 8-inch pancakes):
- 2 cups of seafood squid, shrimp, mussels, oysters, clams (cut into bite sizes)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp kimchi
- 1 cup Korean pancake mix (buchim garu)
- Dipping Sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2.5 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of gochugaru
- Korean red chili
- pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped scallion
- 1 tbsp Diced onion
(Mix all ingredients and you’re good to go!)
- Prepare the seafood, scallions and pepper. Cut the scallions in half crosswise. Once done, cut the white part of the scallions lengthwise if thick. Then, mix the seafood and kimchi with the sesame oil.
- Next, mix the pancake mix with 3/4 cup cold water in a bowl. Pour in 1/2 of the seafood.
- Heat 4 tbsp of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat, ladle 1/2 of the mixture into the pan and spread it evenly into a thin round shape.
- Arrange the scallions in a single layer on top of the batter, pressing them down into the batter. Add 1/2 of the remaining seafood and a bit of pepper.
- After that, spoon one half of lightly beaten egg on top. Cook around 3-4 minutes, until bottom is golden brown.
- Turn it over, add 3 tbsp oil around the edges. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat process with the remaining batter and ingredients. Serve hot off the pan with dipping sauce. Enjoy!
There you have it, the recipe for a homemade Haemul Kimchi Jeon for you to share with your loved ones! If you find this recipe useful, don’t forget to subscrible to foodpanda magazine for more recipes of delicious cuisines.
Too busy to prepare your own dish? Don’t worry as foodpanda has got you covered! Just order your desired dishes off foodpanda, and have your meal delivered right to you in no time. Dine with foodpanda today!