Recipe: Herb Buttered Snails
Herb Buttered Snails, or better known as Escargot à la Bourguignonne in France, is a French delicacy that requires a more sophisticated and acquired taste. Much similar to the Southeast Asian dish, siput sedut, herb buttered snails are an incredibly delicious dish that you won’t want to miss!
Although the idea of eating a snail straight from its shell might seem disgusting and scary to the unprepared, don’t let that deter you from trying this fantastic dish. It’s jam-packed with flavours and is easy and quick to make. Not to mention, snails contain a high amount of protein and are low in fat content. Thus, making this delicacy is not only extremely delicious but just as healthy too!
So, what are you waiting for? This Recipe: Herb Buttered Snails is a quick and easy recipe you can try by yourself in the comfort of your home!
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 1 cup plus 4 tbsp. unsalted, uncultured butter at room temperature
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 finely chopped chives
- 2 tsp. Pernod
- 3⁄4 kosher salt
- 1⁄2 finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1⁄4 cayenne
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A shallot, finely chopped
- 36 snail shells
- 36 canned snails, preferably from Burgundy, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- A loaf country-style French bread
- Mix the butter, parsley, chives, Pernod, salt, tarragon, cayenne, garlic, and shallots in a bowl. Combine well and leave in the refrigerator to cool overnight, allowing the flavours to sit and intensify.
- Remove the butter mixture from the refrigerator an hour before you begin filling up the snail shells and leave it to soften.
- Heat the oven to 350 deg Celcius.
- Meanwhile, scoop ½ a teaspoon of the butter mixture and push it into the shell. Then, place a snail inside, and push another ½ teaspoon of the butter mixture on top. Smooth out the open ends. Repeat for all the snail shells.
- Arrange the shells upright on individual escargot dishes and roast until the butter starts to sizzle (approximately 10-12 minutes).
- Serve with country-style French bread on the side to soak up the butter. Enjoy!
Are you interested in learning more about similar recipes as the Recipe: Herb Buttered Snails? Check out our recipe on Oc Nau Chuoi Dau! The Oc Nau Chuoi Dau is a Vietnamese street food that incorporates snails into its flavourful recipe, making it all the more nutritional and delicious.
But, if you’re not really in the mood to cook, why not order them from a local restaurant on the foodpanda app! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.