No matter if you’re watching movies at the cinema or home, popcorn is a must-have movie snack.
This delicious snack has a great aroma that usually fills up the room. And while there are many popcorn flavours available, depending on the ingredient used, the most common ones are butter and salted caramel.
Most people just like to buy microwave popcorn and pop it easily at home. However, microwave popcorn is loaded with artificial ingredients that are not good for your health
For the beginners, it might be hard to make this snack from scratch. You need to make sure all the kernels pop evenly while preventing the kernels from burning at the bottom of the pan.
The secret to making great popcorn is to allow the kernels to pop at the same temperature. Once you master this technique, making popcorn becomes very easy.
Making this snack from scratch also allows you to experiment with various ingredients. The easiest one, of course, is salt and butter. But feel free to experiment with smoked paprika, chilli pepper, grated Parmesan cheese, and many other toppings.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp of butter (or more according to preference)
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in the thick-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Test the cooking oil by put 3 or 4 kernels in the saucepan. Wait for them to pop.
- Once the kernels pop, remove the pot from the heat and discard the popped kernels.
- Then, add the rest of the kernels in an even layer. Cover the pan and wait for 30 seconds before placing the pot back onto the heat. This is to make sure the kernels pop at the same time.
- Place the pan over medium heat and occasionally shake the pan back and forth over the burner.
- Once the popcorn starts to pop, tilt the lid slightly to let the steam escape. This will make the popcorn crispier.
- Once the popping sounds slows to one pop every 3 seconds, remove the pan from heat and pour the popcorn into a wide bowl.
- Melt the butter in that hot pan until it gets a little bit brown.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the popcorn and toss them to distribute the butter evenly.
- Sprinkle some salt to taste.
- Serve hot, enjoy!
Not what you’re looking for? Order some popcorn from foodpanda today! The foodpanda app offers a large variety of snacks and other desserts and delivers straight to your doorstep Alternatively, you can also consider making another great movie snack: nachos!