Hummus is a dip that is commonly eaten in the Middle East and the Mediterranean. Contrastingly, the creamy spread has a light and fluffy consistency to it. The key ingredients in the dish are mashed chickpeas, tahini, spice and lemon juice. The bulk of the hummus is cooked chickpeas that give the paste a smooth texture after blending it with the tahini that provides unique flavours. For more zest, fresh garlic can be added to spice up the dip.
Interested in tasting the delicious hummus? Check out the recipe down below!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 15 ounces of chickpeas
- ¼ tsp of baking soda
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ cup of tahini
- ½ tsp of cumin
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ½ tsp of fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp of plain water (iced, depends on need)
- 1 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley
- In a medium saucepan, add some of the chickpeas mixed with baking soda. Submerge the chickpeas with water and then bring the mixture to a boil. Let it boil for a bit and ensure that the heat is reduced to prevent overflow. Continue for about 20 minutes, and the chickpeas will expand and soften. Drain the chickpeas through a strainer and run through cold water for about 30 seconds. Then, set it aside.
- Proceed to mix the lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender. Allow the ingredients to be processed until the garlic is finely chopped. Once done blending, leave the mixture aside for about 10 minutes to let the garlic flavour mix with the ingredients.
- Add the tahini in the blender and then proceed to blend until the consistency is thick and creamy. Occasionally, scrape some of the tahini off the sides of the mixer when it is required.
- Proceed to add some cumin and chickpeas into the blender. Drizzle some olive oil in the mixture as it’s blending. Ensure that the blend is smooth and to scrape any remainder from the sides of the blender if required. Add some iced water to get the creamy consistency.
- If necessary, add about ¼ teaspoon of salt for extra flavour and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for a zesty flavour.
- The cooking process is complete! Add the hummus into a serving bowl and use a spoon to create the fluffy swooshes. Sprinkle some garnish such as olive oil, paprika and fresh parsley. Feel free to add other garnishes of your choice. The dip can be kept in a refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Now that you have your dip, order your main course and sides from foodpanda!