Indo stands for Indonesia while “mee” refers to noodles, thus noodles from Indonesia. Indo Mee usually associated with a brand called Indomie, an instant noodle produced by an Indonesian company in the year 1982. This instant noodle has become synonymous among the low-income demographics and popular in Africa, America, Australia, Asia, and Europe.
Indo Mee in Malaysia can be cooked like a typical Mee Goreng with added ingredients to spice up the taste. It is widely available at most street-hawkers or restaurants in Malaysia. Some people know it as Maggi Goreng.
You can make it at home as this instant noodle widely available in local shops and supermarkets. The Indomie brand comes with various flavours such as Mi Goreng Perisa Asli (Original), Mi Goreng Perisa Kari Kapitan (Curry flavour) and Mi Goreng Perisa Sambal Undang ( Prawn in chilli paste).
A packet of Indomie comes with two sachets of condiments. The first condiment usually consists of three compartments that contain sweet soy sauce, chilli sauce, and seasoning oil while the second sachet usually contains seasoning powder and fried shallot.
Just by using the provided ingredients are enough to produce a delicious meal. However, try this recipe to give extra flavours to the dish.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 3 packets of Indomie
- 1 tbsp chilli paste (adjust it to your own spiciness level)
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 200g chicken breast (cut into small pieces)
- 100g cabbage (coarsely chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 3 red onions (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ calamansi
- Boil the noodle in a pot of water for 2 minutes, drain and set it aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in the wok and add red onions, garlic, and chilli paste. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add oyster sauce, chicken, and cabbage. Stir thoroughly for 30 seconds.
- Add boiled noodle to the wok and mix evenly. Then, move the noodles to one side in the wok.
- Crack the eggs and stir thoroughly until it becomes small pieces. Then, mix the noodles and eggs.
- Once cooked, serve on a plate and garnish with calamansi. Enjoy while hot!
Notes: Depending on your preference, you can replace the chicken with meat, prawns, and squids. You can also use the condiments available in the packets.