Recipe: Boiled And Deep-Fried Intestines/Colons (Long Non, Trang)
The idea of eating any animal organs like intestines and colons might put some people off. However, it is an acquired delicacy that many other people enjoy. The intestines are commonly used as sausage casing but also can be cooked in various ways such as boil, stew, or deep-fried. The intestines and colons that are boiled just by itself with the addition of some spices are known as Long Non. On the other hand, Trang is the intestines and colons that are deep-fried by its own. These are popular street foods in Vietnam.
The preparation of the intestines is very important to prevent any food contamination. There are pre-cleaned intestines available at markets and supermarkets. However, make sure to clean the inside and outside of the intestine with running water at home. Rubbing the intestines with the rock salt throughout and rinse it 3 to 4 times helps ensure the intestines clean.
Cooking the intestines slowly can produce a flavourful broth and soft, chewy meat. Try the boiled intestines which goes great with spicy dipping sauce or jeow som. The boiled intestines can be further used to create deep-fried intestines. The deep-fried intestines are crunchy yet have a chewy texture which makes it a perfect snack with cold drinks. However, do eat moderate amounts of the deep-fried intestines because they have a high fat content.
Boiled intestines ingredients (4 servings):
- 500g cleaned intestine
- 1L of water
- 1 onion (peeled and split in half)
- 2 stalks of celery (roughly chopped)
- 3 stalks of lemongrass (lightly crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp of black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add onion, celery, lemongrass, black pepper, bay leaves, and intestines into the pot. Season with salt according to preferences. Then, bring it to boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 2 hours or until the intestines are tender.
- Turn off the heat and remove the intestines from the pot. Slices the intestine into 1/3 inch thick and serve with spicy dipping sauce.
Deep-fried intestines ingredients (4 servings):
- 500g boiled intestines
- 3 cups of cooking oil
- Cut the boiled intestines into small pieces. Sprinkle some salt to taste.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot on medium heat. Deep-fry the intestines until crispy or golden brown.
- Remove the intestines, drain the oil and arrange on a serving plate.
- Serve the deep-fry intestines with spicy vinegar. Enjoy!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.