If you love sushi and oysters, then you will definitely love this dish. It’s a match made in heaven for those who love anything that has to with oyster. Making sushi is an art, and some chefs study for years to master the art but not to worry, you can still make your own sushi at home.
Making sushi is a fun way to bond with your family and practice your cooking skills. So if you have the right tools and ingredients, why not try making the Kaki Mentai Roll at home?
- Sushi rolling mat
- Deep fryer
- 100 g of oyster, cleaned
- 100 g of tempura batter
- ½ cucumber, cut into long cubes
- Black and white sesame seed
- 10 seaweed sheets
- 1 cup of sushi rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of Masago fish roe
- Using a rice cooker, prepare your sushi rice by cooking about 1 cup of sushi rice according to education. Add vinegar and salt to the rice.
- Meanwhile, prepare your mentai mayo by mixing 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce, a teaspoon lime juice and 2 teaspoons of Masago fish roe into a small bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Be careful not to put too much lime juice as you do not want your sauce to be too watery. Set aside.
- To prepare your oyster, remove the oyster meat from its shell. Set up your deep fryer to a temperature of 180°C. If you do not own a deep fryer, heat up a generous amount of oil in a wok. You can choose to deep fry the oyster on its own, but the mentai roll will taste better if the oyster is coated with tempura batter before being deep-fried. Deep fry the oyster for no longer than 1 minute.
- To assemble the mentai roll, layer the seaweed sheet that is big enough for the roll size that you desire. Then, layer the sushi rice evenly on the sushi rolling mat.
- Assemble the cucumber, fried oyster and mentai mayo on top of the rice.
- Carefully roll the mat to form a tight roll. Remove the sushi roll from the rolling mat and start coating the outer layer with the black and white sesame seed.
- To serve, cut the mentai rolls into about 1.5 cm thickness and serve immediately with an extra mentai mayo on the side.
Craving for more food? Order from foodpanda now to get food and drinks delivered to you!