This simple dish is made using kaya, bread, and butter. Usually served during breakfast, it is enjoyed and loved by many people in Malaysia and Singapore. Imagine the warm and crispy toasted bread, smeared with creamy kaya jam, and complete with a thin slice of cold butter, giving you a heavenly taste as you bite into it.
While the rest of the world usually spread fruity jams on their toast, Malaysians are proud of their kaya jam (coconut egg jam). Kaya jam is also known as srikaya or seri kaya. Traditional kaya is made using coconut milk, sugar, eggs, and aromatic pandan leaf, and it can take up to two hours to make this sweet jam.
You can easily find kaya jam in grocery stores, supermarkets and bakery throughout Malaysia. The kaya jams also come with two flavours, namely palm sugar kaya jam and pandan flavoured kaya jam.You can have Kaya toast with half-boiled eggs, seasoned with either soy sauce or white pepper. Complete the set with either a cup of hot coffee or milk tea to start your day.
Try to make your kaya jam with this easy recipe. If the pandan leaves are hard to come by, you can replace it with pandan extract available in stores.
- 7 Pandan leaves (or 3 tbsp Pandan Extract)
- 50ml water
- 5 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 250ml coconut milk
- Blend the pandan leaves with water and then filtered it to get the pandan leaf extract.
- Add sugar, eggs, and coconut milk in the bowl. Mix it well until the sugar dissolves and add 10ml of the pandan extract.
- Placed the mixture over a pot of boiling water (double-boiling method). Keep stirring every 10minutes for about 30-40 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Leave the mixture to cool to room temperature. Then, place it in a bottle and refrigerate.
Now you have a homemade kaya, use it to make a delicious Kaya and Butter Toast.
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 2 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 small slice salted butter
- 2 tbsp Kaya jam
- Lightly toast both sides of sandwich bread until there are barely browned surface on the toast. You can either use toaster at the low setting or using the dry frying pan on the stovetop with low heat.
- Spread the kaya jam at one side of both slices then put the sliced butter on top of it.
- Combine both sides with kaya jam and cut it vertically.
- Serve it while warm with a soft-boiled egg, soy sauce and white pepper to complete the experience.