Image Credit to: Hmart
Bulgogi Kimchi Fries is a more unique and healthy alternative compared to cheesy fries. Kimchi beef fries are usually topped with bulgogi, kimchi and a special Sriracha sauce. It is perfect as a night movie snack, party snack or as tidbits on a relaxing Sunday. This dish is said to be invented by Jae Kim by accident, who normally used to sell normal fries. He experimented preparing this dish with leftover kimchi and surprisingly tasted amazing.
- 1 large head of Napa or green cabbage, chopped into 2-3 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 4 green onions, sliced into 1 inch pieces (both white and green sections)
- 1-4 tablespoons Korean chili powder
- 1/3 cup good quality fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
- 3 large russet potatoes (washed and dried)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onions
- Shredded cheese
- Prepare the kimchi at least 5 days in advance. Chop the cabbage, mix it with salt then set aside for 6 hours.
- Then rinse off the salt with water and try to drain all the water off.
- In a big container, add in green onions, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and chilli powder. Mix evenly and place in a dark area.
- Marinate the beef with green onions, soy sauce, garlic, sesame seeds, toasted sesame seed oil and black pepper, then refrigerate it for a few hours.
- Heat the oil on a fry pan.
- Fry the marinated bulgogi beef with onions until the onions turn golden and the beef is completely cooked.
- After the meat is not hot anymore, cut it into chunks and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by blending the sour cream, mayonnaise and hot sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 232 degree celsius.
- Then cut the potatoes into the shape of fries. Toss it with olive oil and make sure they are nicely coated.
- Bake the potatoes for 15 – 20 minutes. Flip it to another side and bake until they are golden brown.
- Then top the fries with the bulgogi, kimchi and special sauce along with cilantro, green onions and shredded cheese.