Do you have some leftover rice? Kimchi Bokgeumbap is a Korean dish usually made with day-old rice and kimchi. It is a staple dish in most Korean homes. Serve this quick home-cooked recipe with a fried egg on top.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 4 bacon strips
- ¾ cup of kimchi
- ¼ diced onion
- Diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons of kimchi juice
- 1 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of gochujang sauce
- Steamed rice
- Vegetable Oil
- ½ tablespoon of sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fried egg
- Sesame seeds
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Lightly heat some vegetable oil on a skillet. Add in the garlic and cook it until golden brown. Put in some bacon pieces until it is cooked. Slice the fat off the bacon if you don’t want the extra calories.
- Mix in together kimchi, carrots, kimchi juice, soy sauce and gochujang sauce. Stir fry it in with the bacon for 5 minutes. You can add in shiitake mushrooms and stir it altogether. Make sure you remove the rooms and rinse the mushrooms before dicing it into tiny pieces.
- Add in some leftover rice with a tablespoon of oil. Make sure you stir it well so there are any clumped up pieces. Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste. Scrape the brown bits off the pan and keep on stirring. Add in some sesame oil and mix it in. You can add in some sesame seeds.
- You can top the fried rice with a fried egg. Garnish it with some sesame seeds and serve while it is hot.
- It is ideal to use day-old or leftover rice for this recipe. If you don’t have some, you can just add ½ teaspoon of rice vinegar along with kimchi juice to make it sour. If you left your leftover rice in the refrigerator, you could first heat it up in the microwave for a few minutes to soften it up.
- It is optional but you can add fresh meat to this dish. But, make sure you season it with salt and pepper. It can also be seasoned with garlic and ginger to add some flavour to the meat. Pour in some vegetable oil and spread it around with a spatula before cooking the meat.
Calories: 461 kcal
Carbohydrates: 48 grams
Protein: 14 grams
Fat: 25 grams