The Kimchi Chicken Taco is a fusion of Korean and Mexican cuisine. The dish mainly features the corn tortillas (Mexican cuisine) with cooked chicken and kimchi coleslaw (Korean cuisine) as fillings. The dish originated from Los Angeles as street food that was inspired by Korean food.
The dish mainly features the Korean-type filling wrapped with a corn tortilla. The meal is relatively quick to make as it only requires about half an hour to prepare.
The Kimchi Chicken Taco is packed with flavour, and the aroma will surely stimulate your senses.
The dish has since become a popular snack food that has inspired dozens of entrepreneurs to open up Korean taco restaurants. The recipe usually features a wide array of ingredient choices, from meats, bread and cheese.
Tempted to try the Kimchi Chicken Taco? Order now on foodpanda!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 3 Tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Cornflour
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 8 to 12 Pieces of Corn Tortillas
- 1 Lime (Sliced into 4 Wedges)
- 3 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
- 2 to 3 Hot Pepper Sauce
- 25 g of Ginger (Grated)
- Chicken Thigh Fillets; Cut into 1cm strips (2 x 430 g)
- 2 tsp of Sesame Oil
- For the coleslaw
- 1 Tbsp of Kimchi Paste
- ½ Small White Cabbage (Finely Sliced)
- 4 Tbsp of Coriander (Chopped)
- 3 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
- 1 Piece of Red Onion (Finely Sliced)
- Start making the dish by preheating the oven at 200 degrees Celsius. Proceed to combine soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, hot pepper sauce and cornflour in a bowl. Ensure that the consistency is smooth.
- Proceed to stir in the ginger, garlic and chicken and then set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, start mixing the kimchi and mayonnaise. Then, combine the white cabbage, coriander and red onion. Stir the ingredients thoroughly until it is fully combined. Season the coleslaw in salt and black pepper and then set it aside.
- Then, wrap the tortillas in tin foil and heat it in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- In a large wok, heat sesame oil over medium-to-high heat. Proceed to add the chicken and then let it cook for 8-10 minutes. When cooking, stir the ingredients and then gradually add some water to ensure that the sauce is not too thick. Ensure that the sauce looks glossy and smooth.
- Serve the tortilla, with the chicken, kimchi, mayonnaise, coleslaw and lime. Enjoy!