If you’re feeling a little under the weather, nothing beats a warm bowl of porridge. In Korea, the most favoured way of eating porridge is with kimchi due to its high probiotic content. The best way to heal the body is first through the stomach. In this recipe, we’ll be teaching you how to make a comforting bowl of Kimchi Porridge.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 scallions (about 1 bunch) roughly chopped, (reserve a little for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons peeled and finely minced ginger
- ½ cup chopped kimchi, plus 1 tablespoon kimchi brine
- 2 cups cooked long- or short-grain rice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 eggs, for serving
- Toasted sesame oil, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the scallions and ginger and sauté until soft.
- Once fragrant, add in the kimchi, rice and three cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Keep the pot on heat for 15-20 minutes. Add water if you like a runnier porridge.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the kimchi brine—season with salt and more kimchi brine to taste.
- To serve, top each bowl with a fried egg (optional), chopped scallions and a drizzle of sesame oil.
There you have it! The recipe for a bowl of kimchi porridge. A simple way to comfort food. Both ginger and kimchi are high in antioxidant properties as well as rich in probiotics. This bowl of kimchi porridge will have you feeling better in no time.
On the other hand, if you’d like a bowl of kimchi porridge made by the best chefs, head on over to the foodpanda app and have a bowl delivered to you! Don’t forget to subscribe to foodpanda magazine as well.