Warm your tummy with a steamy pot of Japanese Kimuchi Nabe! This sour and spicy soup with its assorted vegetables and meat is guaranteed to cure your Monday blues.
Inspired by the Korean delicacy, Kimchi Jjigae, the Japanese twist of this dish adds miso paste and sake to the soup to create a more umami flavour. Yum! Over the years, it has become a famous hotpot (nabe) that is especially during winter.
‘Kimuchi’ is very similar to kimchi. You may purchase it at selected grocery stores or even make your own by clicking here. Now, here’s what you need to make your very own Kimuchi Nabe:
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 454g kimuchi
- 460g pork (sliced thinly)
- 6 cups (1500ml) Dashi
- 6 leaves nabe cabbage
- 3 green onions
- 3 garlic chives
- 1 pack medium-firm tofu
- 1 pack enoki mushroom
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ carrot
- ½ onion
- 4 tbsp Kimchi juice
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 1 tsp gochugaru (Korean pepper flakes)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ miso paste
- ¼ tbsp salt
- To prepare the ingredients, start by slicing the onion and carrot, separately. After that, slice the green onions diagonally and chop the garlic chives into roughly 5cm pieces.
- Cut the nabe cabbage into pieces, width wise. As the bottom part is thicker, you may cut them into smaller pieces. Then, cut the tofu into small blocks.
- Discard the bottom half of the enoki and rinse them in water to loosen them up.
- Place all the assorted vegetables on a plate. Thinly slice the pork belly and set it aside.
- In a large pot or donabe, heat the sesame oil over medium-low heat and add the sliced pork. Stir fry until cooked.
- Gently add in the kimuchi and onion and stir fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sake and gochujang, sake and sugar and mix well.
- Once mixed, gently pour the dashi and kimchi juice and stir until it is evenly mixed.
- Cover and bring the dish to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low heat and add the miso paste and soy sauce. Let it cook until the miso paste is completely dissolved.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and place the lid over to cook under medium heat for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt accordingly. Enjoy!
Love at first bite! Discover more food options and order other snacks or drinks to go with your meal using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.