Image Credit: Kenji sushi
Recipe King Prawn Katsu Curry Bento – Katsu basically means a crispy cutlet of meat or seafood made with flaky Japanese panko breadcrumbs. It is one of the Western foods that has been adopted and adapted to suit local tastes, becoming a key part of Japanese cuisine. On the other hand, bento is a Japanese-style packed lunch which consists of items like, meat, vegetables, and egg with Japanese rice.
Katsu is normally served in bento-style, with shredded raw cabbage and thick katsu sauce, with Japanese curry on top of a bowl of steaming rice. Even though chicken katsu curry bento is more usually served in a Japanese restaurant, king prawn katsu curry udon is another variation that is loved by many.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 20 peeled king prawns
- 1 egg
- 200g flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 slices of bread made into crumbs
- pinch of salt &
- 100ml vegetable oil
- splash of sunflower oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (sliced)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 400ml stock
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garam masala
- First, heat oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion, garlic, and carrots for 10 minutes.
- Then, add spices and flour to the pan and stir for 1 minute. Later, add the stock, honey and soy sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After the sauce has thickened, put into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place 100ml oil into a separate large frying pan and heat.
- Then, get three bowls and put flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder into one, the beaten eggs in the second, and breadcrumbs into the third.
- Next, coat each prawn in flour, dip them into the egg and then coat in breadcrumbs. Make sure you cover all of the prawns.
- After all the prawns have been coated, place into the hot oil. Fry all prawns until golden.
- Lastly, after they have been cooked, place on kitchen paper to absorb all the excess oil.
- Serve with sticky rice and Asian vegetables.
And voila! You have your very own homemade steaming hot king prawn katsu curry bento. This Recipe King Prawn Katsu Curry Bento is so yummy, you will keep wanting more! You can pimp this dish with an extra element like a chicken dish to make it a hearty meal for your dinner or lunch. If you find it a hassle to prepare your own dish at home, you can always order your meal via foodpanda, and have it delivered to you in no time.