There are various tea that is popular in Korea, and Ginseng tea, which is also known as Insam Cha, is one of them. Koreans love Ginseng because it is strongly related to medicine and is said to give effects such as improving the immune system, relaxing the nervous system and recovering strength.
This aromatic and zesty drink is suitable for those not feeling well or when it is cold outside during winter. Although Insam is relatively expensive, it is still popular among Koreans as they believe it is more than a drink. They have been using Ginseng for thousands of years as medicine, and now they are the largest producer of Ginseng
Other than increasing longevity, treat impotence, it is also used in Eastern medicine to improve memory and mental disorders. Although it is categorised as non-toxic, too much consumption of ginseng will cause insomnia. Therefore, it is recommended to take ginseng on a cycle instead of consuming it daily. Pregnant ladies should consult the doctor before consuming ginseng. We should also be careful to not consume ginseng with herbs that increase one’s alertness.
Ginseng tea is too popular that it is even available in powder form. It is in packets form for immediate preparation of consumption. Therefore, people can enjoy it at any time. Its capsules is also readily available to be taken as supplements to boost immunity.
After trying this recipe and you feel like this taste is too overpowering, you can always mix the ginseng tea with green tea or ginger tea to overcome it.
- 50 g fresh ginseng
- 5 dried jujube
- 5 L water
- Rinse the ginseng thoroughly with drinking water.
- Then also rinse the dried jujube.
- Add the water into a boiling pot.
- Add in the rinsed ginseng and jujube into the pot.
- Boil on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, add a teaspoon of honey in a cup.
- Pour the boiled ginseng water into the cup.
- Cut the ginseng and jujube, then place 3 – 4 pieces of ginseng and 1 jujube in 1 cup of tea.
- Stir well and enjoy the benefits of ginseng tea.
- Alternatively, one can also coat the cut ginseng with honey and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Then pour hot water over the honey-coated ginseng and let the flavours develop for 10 minutes.
- Then you may enjoy a hot cup of ginseng tea while topping it with pinenuts.