A staple in classic Korean cuisine, the Korean Grilled Mackerel Pike (also known as Godeungeo Gui 고등어구이) is the perfect side dish for a heavy but fulfilling meal. Its aromatic and flavourful tastes are sure to sweep you off your feet with just one bite.
If you love fish and intense flavours, then this is the recipe for you. Mackerels are oily fishes that have powerful flavours. Hence, they pair well with bold seasoning – such that the Korean Grilled Mackerel Pike recipe offers.
And just by following a few simple steps, you can make your own serving of Korean Grilled Mackerel Pike, too! It’s easy-to-follow, and it doesn’t take long to make, so why not cook it for your next breakfast, lunch or dinner?
- Fresh Mackerel – 1 whole
- Rice water or milk – enough to submerge the fish
- Flour – 1 Tablespoon
- Curry Powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Lemon – optional
- Clean the fish thoroughly and remove its innards.
- Submerge the clean mackerel into a bowl of rice water or milk. Leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Now, rinse the mackerel under cold water. Use paper towels to pat the fish dry.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and curry powder. Mix well.
- Coat the mackerel in the mixture on both sides. Make sure to coat it thoroughly and to pat off any excess batter once done.
- Cut the fish into two halves (you can opt to do this earlier in the recipe).
- Place the fish skin-side down onto a pan and cook over medium-high heat. Cook until the skin turns crispy, about one minute.
- Once the skin turns crispy, flip it over and cook the other side for about three to five minutes.
- Once the fish is cooked, remove it from heat and plate. You can squeeze some lemon juice over the grilled mackerel if you want to, but this is completely optional. Serve with a bowl of rice, enjoy!
Korean Grilled Mackerel Pike Recipe
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might enjoy our recipes on other classic Korean dishes, too. You can find recipes on how to make Japchae, Korean Spicy Sausage Stew, Korean Sea Snail with Thin Noodles, Seafood Bean Paste Jjigae, Sundubu Jjigae and more!
But if you’re too lazy to cook, you can always just order from foodpanda app instead. The foodpanda app offers a large variety of Korean restaurants for you to order from. Plus, they deliver your meals straight to your doorstep!
So, what’re you waiting for? Order from foodpanda today!