Get your hands dirty. Dig into some delicious Korean chicken wings dipped into some homemade Korean sweet and spicy sauce. It is perfect for any occasion and can be whipped up in only a few simple steps.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- Whole Chicken
- 2 Tablespoon of rice wine
- 2 teaspoons of crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup of corn starch
- vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of Gochujang sauce
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Cut the whole chicken into separate pieces. Pick out the chicken wings and set aside the rest.
- Mix the rice wine, ginger and salt, and pepper together with the chicken wings in a big bowl. Dip the chicken with starch. Make sure you coat the chicken evenly then, leave it aside.
- Pour in a generous amount of vegetable oil in a saucepan or frier. Heat the oil until you see it boil.
- Slowly add in the chicken and fry them for about 2 to 5 minutes. Try not to overcrowd the saucepan. Once it is done, take out the chicken and drain it rack or on some kitchen paper. Depp fry the chicken until it is golden and crispy. The second batch often takes a shorter time to dry around 3 minutes.
- In another saucepan, mix it all the sauce ingredients mentioned above. Heat the sauce at low to medium heat and stir it thoroughly. Remove it from heat once it bubbles.
- In a large mixing bowl, put in the chicken wings and pour in the fried chicken sauce. Mix it together lightly. You can also serve the fried chicken wings and the sauce separately.
- Once the fried chicken is coated, serve it while it is hot to avoid it from being soggy. If you have any leftovers, you can put in the refrigerator and can be eaten after a day or two.
- Garnish it with some roasted sesame seeds.
Note:If you can handle the spice, you can add some red chilli pepper flakes to the sauce.
Carbohydrates: 69 grams
Protein: 35 grams
Fat: 29 grams