If you’re looking for a Korean hearty meal for your whole family, then look no further. The Korean Spicy Pork Back Bone and Potato Stew or the Gamjatang is a perfect meal for a family dinner. This dish is also great for keeping warm during cold weather or winter.
- 4 kg of pork bone with meat
- Three medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 100 g of mung bean sprouts
- Six cabbage leaves
- Two green chillies, finely chopped
- One yellow onion, cut into halves
- One green onion (spring onion), sliced
- Five cloves of garlic
- 5 g of ginger, thinly sliced
- 7 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
(Seasoning Sauce: pre-mix in a bowl)
- 3 tbsp of gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes)
- 2 tbsp of doenjang (Korean soybean paste)
- 1 tbsp of gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 1 tbsp of Korean fish sauce
- 2 tbsp of rice wine or mirin
- 1 ½ tbsp of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of ginger, minced
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp of water
- Dip the pork bones in cold water for about an hour.
- Put the bones into a hot pot of water and boil it for about 10 minutes.
- Once done, remove the bones from the water and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
- Fill a clean pot with 7 cups of water, pork bones, yellow onion, green onion, garlic, ginger and whole black pepper. Slow-cook the mixture under medium heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Make sure to cover the lid.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a different pot until it is almost cooked. You want it to be slightly hard and not too soft. Drain and set aside.
- Parboil the cabbage leaves for about 1-2 minutes using salted water. Drain and wash under running cold water to keep the leaves fresh.
- Once the pork broth is ready, sieve the ingredients to get a clear broth. Keep the pork bones but discard other ingredients.
- Using a clean pot, add the sieved broth, pork bones, potatoes, the pre-mixed seasoning sauce, and cabbage leaves. Boil under medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the mung beans and green chillies. Feel free to add more vegetables like mushrooms. Boil for another 2 minutes and turn the heat off completely.
- To serve, put the stew into individual bowls and serve with fragrant steam rice, bread or have it on its own. Serve while it’s hot.