Recipe Kuey Teow Soup – A healthy and fulfilling dish, kuey teow soup is a dish filled with collagen and loved by many. Imagine having a spoonful of kuey teow while slurping the hot flavourful broth on a rainy day; it’s heavenly! The soup is typically boiled up to 10 hours, using pork bones, chicken carcass and chicken feet, mainly where the “collagen” comes from.
This dish is also best served when you’re feeling ill, or “jelak” from all the heavy-flavoured food. Before serving, add in a little ikan bilis to enhance the soup! Just follow the steps below to make your own fresh kuey teow soup.
Ingredients (3 servings):
- 500ml home-cooked stock (cooked from simmering pork bones/chicken carcass and chicken feet in water for 10 hrs or more)
- 400ml water
- 1 tsp fried pork lard
- 2-3 servings kway teow
- 12 pcs fishballs
- 1 pc fishcake, sliced
- ½ tbsp dong cai
- 20g ikan bilis
- salt, to taste
- few pcs fresh lettuce
- 1 tsp spring onion, diced (for garnishing)
- First, heat some cooking oil in a pot till hot. Reduce heat to low after the oil is hot. Add in the pork lard and cover pot. Allow pork lard to be deep-fried until golden brown. Off the flame and set aside.
- Next, in a pot, add the stock, water, dong cai and ikan bilis soup stock bag. Allow it to simmer for around 15 minutes. Add in salt to taste.
- Then, remove the stock bag and add in the fish cake slices. Cook briefly till they float to the surface of the soup. Remove and place them in the bowl.
- Later, add the fish balls and allow them to cook until they float to the surface of the soup. Remove and place them in the bowl.
- Lastly, together with the blanched kway teow or noodles, fish cakes slices, fishballs and fresh lettuce in the bowl to serve add in the soup. Garnish with diced spring onion and fried pork lard and serve hot immediately.
Too much of a hassle to prepare your dish? Fret not! Just make your orders via foodpanda and have your meal delivered right to your doorstep.