Image Credit: Joyce
“Tastes like chicken” is the common phrase associated with eating frogs. Although some may feel squeamish to eat frog legs, it really has a fine and smooth texture, and sweeter compared to chicken. There are 2 common dishes when it comes to cooking frog legs, which are Kung Pao Frog or Ginger Onion Frog Leg. Kung Pao Frog is a spicy dish that goes well with porridge. The succulent frog meat with sweet and spicy sauce is quite easy to cook.
Kung Pao is a well-known Chinese dish originated from Sichuan Province in China. It is a spicy, stir-fried dish meat dishes. Originally, Sichuan peppercorns were used in this dish as it has a nice fragrant while cooking the oil. Nowadays, there are many variations of Kung Pao catered to many people.
The Kung Pao sauce adds the flavours of savoury, spicy and sweet to the frog meat. One can even substitute the frog legs with chicken, pork, fish or beef if they are not a fan of frogs. Nevertheless, try this unique and flavourful dish with the ingredients below.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 500g frog legs
- 10 dried chillies (soaked in hot water)
- 3 spring onion (cut into sections, separate the white and green parts)
- 3 bird’s eye chillies ( remove seeds and sliced)
- 2-inch ginger (minced
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 150ml stock
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Mix the marinade ingredients in the bowl and add the frog legs. Cover the frog legs with marinade evenly then keep in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat the cooking oil under medium heat in the deep frying pan. Stir fry the white parts of the spring onion, dried chillies, bird’s eye chillies, minced garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Then, add in the marinated frog legs and stir them well.
- Add in the stock, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, sweet soy sauce and a dash of pepper.
- Lower the heat and cover the pan. Allow it to simmer for 5 minutes or until it boils and the frog legs turn tender.
- Lastly, add the green parts of the spring onion. Give it a few stirs to mix them well and turn off the heat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Check out our recipes for Shern Kwong Tofu and Ma Po Tofu if you love Chinese cuisines.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.