Kung Po chicken, a classic Chinese dish loaded with spicy chicken, peanuts and vegetables in delicious Kung Po sauce. This easy homemade recipe is healthy, low in calories and much better than takeout. Originated from the Sichuan province in China, this dish is also known as Kung Pao Chicken or Gong Bao Chicken.
In this Kung Po Chicken recipe, you will notice it makes a dry-stir fry, and not a lot of sauce is added into the dish. However, with the amount of flavour exploding in this dish, you wouldn’t want to miss any of the sauce.
- 500g chicken breast (cut into chunks)
- 2 tbsp. white wine
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil, divided
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 30g hot chilli paste
- 1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 250g water chestnuts
- 100g chopped peanuts
- Combine 1 tbsp wine, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp cornstarch and mix together.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl and add marinade. Toss to coat.
- Cover dish and place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp wine, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp cornstarch and water mixture, chili paste, vinegar and sugar.
- Mix together and add green onion, garlic, water chestnuts and peanuts.
- In a medium skillet, heat sauce slowly until aromatic.
- Remove chicken from marinade and saute in a large skillet until meat is white and juices run clear.
- When sauce is aromatic, add sautéed chicken and let simmer together until sauce thickens.
There you have it, a simple homemade Kung Po Chicken recipe for you to follow. If you liked this recipe then you should also try making Spicy Chicken Arrabiatta.
However, if you think prepping your own dish is troublesome, you can always order well-prepped meals from foodpanda and have them delivered to you in no time!