La Mian, also known as hand pulled noodles, is a traditional pasta with a local flavour in Northern China. The noodles are formed by pulling wheat flour dough by hand into long and elastic strips.
Different from hand-cut and machines made noodles, hand pulled noodles are more silky and springy with a chewy texture. Also, they are normally served fresh as the cooking process happen right after the La Mian is formed.
Learn all the secrets of hand pulled noodles by following the La Mian recipe below!
Ingredients (4 Servings):
- 350g Fresh high-gluten flour
- 175g clear water
- Vegetable oil
- Cooked beef
- 1 Green onion (chopped)
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp Sichuan pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Start by mixing flour and clear water in a bowl, then knead the dough until smooth.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, knead them round and flat.
- Next, brush a layer of oil all over the dough and put it on the plate. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- Take dough out of refrigerator. Remove the plastic wrap to warm the dough.
- Then, brush layer oil to the work panel, take a piece of dough and press the dough to a uniform thickness.
- Bring a wok of clear water to boil. Use a knife to cut the dough into even strips of small dough, pinch the two sides of the dough and pull them to the sides. At the same time, swing the noodles and let the centre of it hit on the panel. Repeat several times, pull the noodles to your desired thickness, and then immediately throw them into the wok and cook until noodles float on water.
- Transfer the cooked hand pulled noodles into the bowl. Once done, add some cold water to the wok and cut the second dough to even strips of small dough, and repeat the process of making hand pulled noodles and cook it.
- Heat wok with oil. After that, pour hot oil in a bowl with garlic. Set aside.
- Mix the Sichuan pepper powder, light soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper powder, salt and 2 large tablespoons boiled water in a bowl to make the sauce.
- Sprinkle the sauce and garlic on the noodles. Lastly, add other cooked ingredients according to your preferences. Enjoy!
There you have it, the recipe for a homemade La Mian to share with your loved ones!
However, if you find it a hassle to make your own La Mian dish, you can always order well-prepped ones from foodpanda, and have them delivered right to your doorstep. Dine with foodpanda today! Don’t forget to subscribe to foodpanda Magazine for daily updates on food, too!