La Vong Fish Pie is a well-known traditional dish from Hanoi, Vietnam. This fish pie is moist, buttery and full of flavours. It can be made from many types of fish such as carp, catfish, trout, and tilapia. The fish is ground and mixed with various spices such as turmeric, garlic, black pepper and shallot. Then, it is marinated for a few hours before frying until it turns yellow and crispy.
You can just eat it with chilli sauce or served it with steamed rice, rice noodles or in a soup. When served with rice noodles, it is often accompanied with fermented shrimp paste, roasted peanuts and herbs. Examples of herbs are coriander, basil, and dill.
The La Vong Fish Pie seems easy to cook, but this dish requires several steps of processing. Try this rice noodle soup with La Vong Fish Pie for the fulfilling meal.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 750 g of fish flesh (cut into small pieces)
- 3 tsp of chopped ginger
- 3 red onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 ¾ tsp of ground turmerics
- 60 ml of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- 375 g of thin dried rice noodles
- 90 g of rice flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 80ml of cooking oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 8 spring onions (trimmed and cut finely)
- 2 bunches of dill (coarsely torn)
- 160 g of roasted peanuts (coarsely chopped)
- Blend the ginger, onions, garlic, 2 tsp of turmeric powder and fish sauce until it becomes a coarse paste.
- Combine the blended paste and black pepper with the fish. Mix them well and let it marinate for 3 hours.
- After marinate, drain the fish of excess water.
- Mix the rice flour, remaining turmeric powder and salt in a bowl. Coat the fish in the mixture.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the noodles and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain them well.
- In the meantime, heat the 2 tbsp cooking oil in the frying pan over high heat. Stir fry the spring onions and onions for 3 minutes or until the onions turn brown.
- Then add half of the dill, fry slightly until the dill wilted and transfer to a bowl.
- Lower the ear to medium and add the remaining oil to the pan. Place the coated fish and fry it for 5 minutes or until it turns golden yellow and crispy.
- Mix the fish pie with the onion mixture and the remaining dills.
- Divide the noodles into the bowls and place the fish mixture over the noodles. Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve with the sauce on the side.
Craving for more Vietnamese dishes? Order them now on foodpanda!