Recipe: Lamb Mandi
The Lamb Mandi is a traditional Arabic meat and rice dish that first originated from Yemen. The popularity of the dish has since spread across the Middle East. The recipe features a combination of soft and tender meat with a bowl of fragrant rice to stimulate your senses.
The lamb thigh is marinated and roasted, while the aromatic rice is cooked with raisins, almonds, cashews and nuts.
Want to try the Lamb Mandi but don’t have the ingredients to cook it yourself? You can order on foodpanda to have it delivered to your home!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 Piece of Lamb Raan
- 3 Tbsp of Ginger Paste
- 3 Tbsp of Cumin Seeds Powder
- 1 Tbsp of Garam Masala (All Spice Mix)
- 1 Cup of Raw Papaya Cubes
- 2 Tbsp of Green Chili Paste
- 2 Tbsp of Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp of Black Pepper Powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Kg of Basmati Rice
- ½ Cup of Raisins
- 10 Pieces of Curry Leaves
- 2 Tbsp of Carrots
- 15 Pieces of Cashew Nuts
- 15 Piece of Almond
- 2 Tbsp of Capsicum
- 4 Tbsp of Edible Oil
- Start preparing the dish by creating deep slits in the lamb thigh. In a mixing bowl, combine the green chilli paste, jeera powder, ginger garlic paste, black pepper, garam masala. Stir the ingredients well.
- Smear the mixture onto the thigh and ensure that the mixture is inserted into the slits too. Grab some raw papaya cubes and then place them inside the slits. Leave it to marinate for about 2-3 hours to allow the meat to cook easily and quickly.
- Proceed to boil the basmati rice until it is half done. Drain all of the water through a siever. Place a pan on the stove and then use it to heat some oil. Add some almonds, cashew and curry leaves and let it fry for about 1 minute.
- Then, add some capsicum, raisins and carrots and fry for about 2 minutes. Place rice over the ingredients and mix the ingredients well. Let the rice cook for 15 minutes.
- After 3 hours, take away the raw papaya cubes from the slits. Take a pressure cooker and add water (½ cup). Place the thigh in the pressure cooker and let it cook for about 30 minutes,
- Remove the thigh from the pressure cooker and then cook it in an oven. Apply plenty of butter throughout the thigh.
- The dish is ready to be served. The dish is best served with some Arabic tomato chutney.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.