Image Credit: The Southern Highlands Cookbook
Lamb pasta is one of the many pasta varieties of Ragù, which is a meat-based sauce commonly served with pasta. If you’re a fan of spicy, this dish will provide you with that kick of great flavour and spice. The flavours of this fiery pasta are further enhanced by the splash of red wine added to this dish, which also keeps the lamb tender. Many claim that lamb is a better choice than beef for this pasta dish.
Lastly, garnish your pasta with some parmesan cheese or fresh basil and you’re ready to serve a meal you’ll never forget! So, what’re you waiting for?
Try this recipe down below. This lamb pasta is the perfect meal for making a big batch on weekends and freezing any leftovers for when your pasta craving hits you.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of ground lamb shoulder
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of dry red wine
- 12 ounces of canned San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
- 3 sprigs of fresh oregano
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch chile flakes
- 2 pounds of tagliatelle pasta
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of picked and torn fresh mint leaves
- Heat a pan with olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add a few pinches of salt to the lamb and cook until brown.
- Then finely chop the carrots, celery and onions.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the pan with a large pinch of salt then cook.
- Add the garlic into the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with red wine by scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Bring the sauce to simmer and cook until its volume is reduced by about half.
- Then add the tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and chilli flakes, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lamb back into the pan and let simmer for around 20 to 30 minutes.
- At the same time, use a separate large pot and bring to a boil.
- Drop the pasta into the boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Gently stir to prevent it from sticking together.
- When the pasta is cooked, remove and set aside 1/2 cup of the pasta water, and then drain off the water.
- Stir the pasta together with the sauce.
- Add the reserved pasta water, Parmesan, butter, olive oil and mint and continue to mix well.
- After the mixture is nicely mixed together, remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Check out our other recipes for pasta, such as Creamy Pasta and Lobster Bisque Pasta.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.