If you’re looking for pastry recipes to try during the weekend, why not give this lamb stew pie recipe a try! The recipe below allows for 8 servings, perfect if you wish to share between your friends or loved ones.
A lamb stew pie allows one to indulge in the delicious tender cuts of lamb, cooked with various vegetables, and encased in a crisp puff pastry shell. Therefore, if you’re interested, follow the delicious lamb stew pie recipe below and you’ll have yourself a feast!
Ingredients (8 servings):
- 500g golden potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1kg diced lamb
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 4 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry
- 4 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cubed)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cups of beef stock
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of tomato paste
- ½ cup of gravy powder
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- First, heat some vegetable over medium heat in a large saucepan. Then, add in half of the lamb and cook for about 5 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Once it has browned, transfer to a plate and repeat step 1 with the remaining lamb.
- Next, transfer the other half of the lamb to the plate.
- Then, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat and add in the onion and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Later, add in the potatoes and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Then, add in the tomato paste and gravy powder and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Next, place the cooked lamb back into the pan and pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Later, turn up the heat to high and bring it to a boil.
- Then, reduce the heat to low and bring it to a simmer. Cover and bring it to a simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Later, stir in rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine cornflour with 2 tbsp of water. Then, add into the lamb mixture. Allow it to simmer for 1 more minute. Next, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180⁰C fan-forced. Then, grease two round ceramic pie dishes. Line the base and the sides with 1 sheet of pastry and trim the excess.
- Then, place each ceramic dish on a baking tray and line the pastry cases with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights. Later, bake for 10 minutes. Remove the weights.
- Next, place equal amounts of lamb mixture in the pastry cases. Then, place the remaining pastry sheets over the filling. Also, trim and press the edges together with a fork to seal. Prick the top with a fork and brush with egg.
- Later, bake the pies for 25 – 30 minutes, until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool before serving. Enjoy!
There you have it – a great recipe on lamb stew pie! If you’re looking for more pie recipes, then check out our recipe for Curry Chicken Pie!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks to go with your pie using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.