Lamb Tikka is a type of Indian cuisine which is a variation of the famous Punjabi cuisine, Chicken Tikka Masala. In Punjabi, the word “tikka” refers to pieces of marinated meat. Hence, lamb tikka is pieces of richly spiced lamb cutlet served on thick skewers.
Lamb Tikka is a popular dish in cocktail parties or BBQ events as it is easy to prepare and can be served as a starter or main course depending on its portion.
Besides that, it is a popular dish as it is savoury, rich in flavour and appetising. This recipe can also be used in other types of meat such as chicken, fish, beef or even prawns! Enjoy the lamb tikka with either basmati rice or have it as a starter of the meal.
- 1 ½ lbs of lamb trimmed off fat and cut into a 1-inch cube
- 1 ½ cup of plain, unsweetened yoghurt
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, skin removed
- 10 gram of peeled ginger
- 1 small peeled and chopped onion
- 1 peeled and thinly sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- A handful of coriander leaves washed and chopped
- Slices of lemon or lime
- Hot & Spicy sauce as substitution of Indian spices
- Crushed cumin
- Red pepper flakes
- Grounded cinnamon
- Grounded black pepper
- Grounded cardamom
- Grounded nutmeg
- Grounded fenugreek
- Before marinating the lamb pieces, grind the chopped onion, ginger and garlic into a paste.
- Add in the chilli powder, coriander powder, lemon juice, and cooking oil into the mixture and mix well with the lamb pieces.
- Marinade overnight in the fridge, in an airtight container.
- Before cooking, allow it to return to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 240℃ or 475℉.
- Skewer the lamb pieces on thick skewers loosely to ensure the lamb pieces be cooked evenly.
- Spread the lamb skewers out of the tray.
- Cook the lamb skewers in the hot oven for 10 minutes and turn it over once.
- Besides cooking the lamb skewers in an oven, the lamb skewers can also be cooked in a grill or on a barbecue.
- Remove the lamb from the skewers and serve it on a warm plate.
- Garnish it with thin-sliced onions, coriander leaves, Indian spices and slices of lemon or lime.