The Lettuce Wraps is a delectable and high nutritious dish that is made out of lettuce with meat, spices and vegetable fillings. The dish is easy to make but the time taken to make the dish is about 2.5 hours. The sauce is flavourful that it will stimulate your taste buds and it is not too spicy for those that do not particularly eat spicy food.
The dish is versatile so feel free to substitute the meats and vegetables with other choices. The flavours of the dish is the right balance of sticky, salty and sweet from the sauces that are used to make the dish. The ingredients will mix well with one another with the delicious taste and texture will capture your heart and leave you wanting for more.
- ½ Cup of Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Bunch of Green Onions (Thinly Sliced, Separate the White/Light Green and Dark Green parts)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- 1 ½ Cup of Grated Carrots
- ½ tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Heads of Butter Lettuce
- 2 Cans of Water Chestnuts (Finely Chopped)
- 8 Ounces of Baby Bella Crimini Mushrooms (Finely Chopped)
- ¼ Cup of Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp of Sesame Oil
- 2 Pounds of Ground Chicken Breast
- 1 Tbsp of Freshly Grated Ginger
- 1 Tbsp of Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
- Start making the dish by first lightly coating a slow cooker with nonstick spray. In a mixing bowl, stir together the hoisin, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Ensure that it is stirred well before leaving it aside.
- In a large skillet, bring the heat up to medium-high and then heat the olive oil. Place the chicken in the skillet and then cook the meat until it turns brown. Ensure that the chicken pieces are broken into smaller pieces. Let it cook until it is no longer pink for about 4 to 6 minutes. Proceed to stir green onions (white/light green part), garlic and ginger, followed by cooking for another 30 seconds.
- Place the meat mixture into a slow cooker and then mix the chopped mushrooms, carrots, sauce and red pepper flakes. Place the lid over the slow cooker and cook it on low heat for about 2 to 3 hours. Ensure that the mixture is thickened and the chicken is toughened. Mix in the water chestnuts and the green onions (green parts).
- The dish is ready! Serve the dish with butter lettuce leaves and mix it with the chicken mixture. The dish is best served hot.