When you’re feeling a little down in spirit, warm your belly and soul with a classic Korean dish – Mandu Guk! In Korea, this classic dish is a popular choice to serve during the Lunar New Year. The secret of this dish lies in the broth, where you have the choice to use beef brisket, anchovy broth or even vegetable broth.
Adding your favourite dumplings to the soup will further enhance the flavour of the dish and creates a great balance between chewy and flavourful. It is indeed a Korean delicacy to enjoy with your friends or family!
Try this Mandu Guk recipe below with ingredients you can easily find at local supermarkets. Today, we will be using beef brisket as our choice of broth. Yum.
Broth (2 servings):
- 230g beef brisket
- 8 cups of water
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ onion
Soup (2 servings):
- 10 dumplings (mandu)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- Dried seaweed (nori)
- Salt and black pepper
- Prepare the ingredients by cutting the beef brisket into small-to-medium pieces, and mince the garlic and onion.
- To make the broth, start by boiling the 8 cups of water under medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Once boiled, reduce the heat to medium and add the brisket, garlic and onion. This should take about 30 minutes, or until the beef turns tender. Skim off any foam on top.
- Add your 10 dumplings and increase to medium-high heat. Cook until the dumplings are floating and the skin have become slightly translucent.
- Gently stir the soup to avoid breaking the dumplings and add in the fish sauce, sesame oil and green onions. Let it cook for about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg in a small bowl. Then, pour it over the soup and stir gently. The eggs should cook instantly and break into small pieces.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste and garnish with some dried seaweed. Enjoy!
Mandu Guk Recipe
If you find this Mandu Guk recipe useful, check out our recipes for Prawn Gyoza Mandu or Korean Fried Vegetable Dumplings to add to your delicious Mandu Guk!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.