If there’s one word to describe this Thai dessert, it has to be heavenly. Sweet mango paired with a slightly salty glutinous rice is the best of both worlds. In this recipe of Mango Sticky Rice, you’ll soon discover that it’s pretty easy to make this tasty dish.
The most crucial element of this dish are the mangoes. Fresh and ripe is the only way to go! So go ahead and get your hands on some prime mango. If you’re living up north and can get your hands on some Harum Manis Mango, you’ve already made your dish ten times better.
On the other hand, if you’re not a fan of mangoes you could alternately use durian for a creamier dish.
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 2-3 pandan leaves
- 2-3 fresh ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- First, wash and soak the rice overnight.
- Next, get your steamer ready. If you have banana leaves, oil and layer the leaves on your steamer rack. If not, you could use a well-oiled tray. Spread the glutinous rice on your steaming surface as evenly possible. Steam the rice for 25-30 minutes or until translucent.
- In the meantime, prepare the mangoes. Wash, peel and cut the mangoes into small cubes. Chill in the fridge for later use.
- In a pot over low heat, pour in the coconut oil. Add in the sugar and salt. Stir until no granules are left. Do not let the milk boil. Remove from heat and reserve ¼ a cup for serving.
- Once the rice has cooked, transfer it to a large bowl. Mix in the heated coconut milk. Keep stirring until the texture of the rice turns into a creamy porridge. Don’t worry if there’s a little bit of unabsorbed coconut milk- do not over stir. Leave it to cool at room temperature.
- Serve the sticky rice with the chilled mangoes. Drizzle the reserved coconut milk over the rice.
There you have it, folks – a simple recipe for Mango Sticky Rice! A great dessert and an even better snack! It’s a fool-proof crowd pleaser. So, if you’re having an event – whip up this easy dessert and have everyone impressed.
On the other hand, you can always get authentic Mango Sticky Rice delivered to you via the foodpanda app! Have your favourite meals whenever you want them.
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to foodpanda Magazine for daily updates on food!