Crispy boneless chicken fried with savoury marmite sauce, Marmite Chicken is a popular dish at Chinese restaurants in Malaysia and Singapore. One bite of this delicious chicken and you’re guaranteed to want seconds! It has a unique taste but can be rather salty. Some people might not like it as the flavour can be a tad overwhelming. However, cooked with fried chicken, it can turn into a fantastic dish.
Marmite originated from the United Kingdom is a type of food spread. The beer brewing process produces yeast extract that becomes the basis of marmite. Marmite is a sticky and dark brown paste and is usually sold in glass jars at supermarkets.
Traditionally, marmite used as a savoury spread on bread, toast, biscuits, or crackers. It is spread thinly with butter due to its concentrated taste. Besides that, it can be made into a savoury hot drink and as a flavouring in stews.
Unbeknownst to many, marmite actually is a great source of the vitamin B complex. It helps in maintaining the functions of the nervous system and digestive system. If you’re a fan of this dish, why not try the recipe down below and serve it with some freshly steamed rice!
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 pieces boneless chicken legs (cut into cubes)
- 5 tbsp potato starch flour
- 3 cups of cooking oil ( for deep frying)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp marmite
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mix the chicken cubes, salt, pepper, cornflour, and egg white in a bowl. Combine them and keep it in the fridge for about 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan for deep frying. Coat the marinated chicken cubes with the potato starch flour. Deep fry the chicken cubes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the fried chicken cubes and place them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- In a separate frying pan, combine the marmite, fish sauce, light soy sauce, sugar, and honey. Cook them under medium heat until the sauce sizzles.
- Add in the fried chicken coat. Quickly stir them together. Make sure the fried chicken meat coated with sauce thoroughly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.