Crispy boneless chicken fried with savoury marmite sauce, Marmite Chicken is a popular dish at Chinese restaurants in Malaysia and Singapore. One bite of this delicious chicken and you’re guaranteed to want seconds! It has a unique taste but can be rather salty. Some people might not like it as the flavour can be a tad overwhelming. However, cooked with fried chicken, it can turn into a fantastic dish.
Marmite originated from the United Kingdom is a type of food spread. The beer brewing process produces yeast extract that becomes the basis of marmite. Marmite is a sticky and dark brown paste and is usually sold in glass jars at supermarkets.
Traditionally, marmite used as a savoury spread on bread, toast, biscuits, or crackers. It is spread thinly with butter due to its concentrated taste. Besides that, it can be made into a savoury hot drink and as a flavouring in stews.
Unbeknownst to many, marmite actually is a great source of the vitamin B complex. It helps in maintaining the functions of the nervous system and digestive system. If you’re a fan of this dish, why not try the recipe down below and serve it with some freshly steamed rice!
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 pieces boneless chicken legs (cut into cubes)
- 5 tbsp potato starch flour
- 3 cups of cooking oil ( for deep frying)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp marmite
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mix the chicken cubes, salt, pepper, cornflour, and egg white in a bowl. Combine them and keep it in the fridge for about 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan for deep frying. Coat the marinated chicken cubes with the potato starch flour. Deep fry the chicken cubes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the fried chicken cubes and place them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- In a separate frying pan, combine the marmite, fish sauce, light soy sauce, sugar, and honey. Cook them under medium heat until the sauce sizzles.
- Add in the fried chicken coat. Quickly stir them together. Make sure the fried chicken meat coated with sauce thoroughly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Also, check out our recipes for Korean Popcorn Chicken or Smoked Chicken Drumsticks.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.